Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Seventeenth of Tammuz

Today is the 17th of Tammuz on the Jewish calendar this is one of the fast days. This day marks when the walls of the city of Jerusalem were breached by the Romans lead by Titus. Today starts the three week mourning period leading up to Tisha B'Av which I posted about last year. You can read more about the 17th of Tammuz here. I also found this interesting article on wikipedia titled siege of Jerusalem there have been quite a few.

In Biblical Hebrew class today we started to translate Psalm 137 which I thought was appropriate since it is about the Babylonian exile. The Babylonian exile happened after the destruction of the first Temple but I thought it was still a good choice to translate for today. I will probably post my translation of that Psalm sometime next week.

Sorry this post is so short but I have a test tomorrow. I just wanted to post this on the actual day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was unaware of the significance of this day. I've heard the Israeli Museum is a must do if you travel to the Holy Land. Good luck with studies.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete