Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rosh Hashanah


Sorry for not posting sooner. Last week was Rosh Hashana or the Jewish New Year. Everything shut down Tuesday afternoon. Rosh Hashana began last Wednesday after sundown and Thursday was New Year's Day. All the stores were closed and the city buses were not running. I don't think the stores were open on Friday morning but I didn't go out to check. Its a totally different way of celebrating holidays that just wouldn't go over well in America.


To celebrate the Jewish New Year Claire made honey cake sorry I didn't get a picture of it. You are also supposed to eat apples with honey and pomegranate. I decided to try a pomegranate since I've only had pomegrantate juice previously. Before cutting into a pomegrante make sure you are wearing something that you don't care too much about. Pomegranate juice is pink and it stains everything it touches. From this point you pick out the seeds and eat them. I think they are kind of bitter tasting so I don't know if I will eat a pomegrante again. Pluse I stained my shirt and I was trying to be careful!













I've continued my adventures in cooking! Here we have my attempt at salsa. It was good but I put too many chili peppers in it so it was very hot. I made the mistake of holding the chili peppers while cutting them so my fingers were burning. After coating my hands with olive oil the burning stopped. The capsaicin is fat soluable in case you ever need to know.








Next I tried Beef hash. Diced potatoes with garlic
onions and beef with scrambled eggs on top.












Here we have vegetable spaghetti! Eggplant,tomatoes, zucchini, red onion, and garlic sauteed in olive oil topped with parmesan cheese.
















This is the best thing I've made since coming to Israel!


This is eggplant dip. Eggplant and garlic sauteed in olive oil, add lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley. Its best when served warm but it still tastes good cold.













I discovered this little gem in the school bookstore. Dancing Cows! I don't know why but a lot of merchandise in the store features these cows, clipboards, stickers, notebooks, and greeting cards. I have no idea where these cows come from but they make me smile. I think I'm going to collect stuff with the dancing cows.






As some of you are aware today is my birthday!
Today I am 26 years old! To the right we have my breakfast from this morning that my roommate Claire made me. "Here's you breakfast! And it's happy to see you!" Trivia question what Disney movie is that from? My friends here have helped make this a special day with well wishes. My classmates sang Happy Birthday to me in Hebrew! Anna K. got me a card and a chocolate bar! The chocolate bar's logo has a cow on it so she is helping me collect the cows. ;)
I also wanted to thank everyone that emailed me Birthday wishes. Thank you for helping make my day special while I'm out of the country. Today is also Grandparent's Day back in the United States. Happy Grandparents Day! Another point of interest today Daylights Savings time in Israel ended so we have fallen back one hour. Just something to keep in mind if you are trying to get in touch with me on the phone.

4 comments:

  1. Happy cheaper insurance day!

    Claire's breakfast creation is precious! Closest to that "happy to see you" line is in Mulan. But there she got porridge. A spork? Is that coffee?

    Looked for the source of the dancing cows but haven't found it.

    That pomegranate reminds me of stories about some carved one found and supposedly attributed to the reign of King David. They were saying there was a big market in faked up artifacts in Israeli and that they're having a lot of trouble. Antiquities shops reportedly abound down in the old city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday dear daughter! That is a beautiful picture of a pomegranate with such vivid colors. All of your food pictures look so delicious. I'm amazed what you and Claire are accomplishing with a limited kitchen set up. Thanks so much to Claire for making you breakfast this morning to celebrate your birthday. The dancing cows are cute and I wonder of their significance. I appreciate knowing of Daylight Savings time change in Israel. I mistakening thought only the United States did that for energy conservation.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Anna! Have a good one! We will be finding out the sex of the baby on the 23rd. Look for our blog on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday, sweet girl! I'm glad you were able to celebrate it with Claire.

    Thanks for the tip about olive oil breaking down the capsaicin - that's brilliant! I'm know a lot of people who use fresh peppers and they'll love that tip.

    Your food is beautiful. It looks like you guys are getting to be great cooks. When you make the eggplant, do you peel it and dice it up to saute it?

    Love,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete